The Blood of Christ. Thu, Nov 08, by Harold B Sightler. Series: Pulpit Hour. Dr. Harold B. Sightler. Share. Audio:listendownload · CAN GOD, GOD CAN. Mrs. Harold B. Sightler, the “First Lady” of Tabernacle Baptist Church and the wife of the Prince of Preachers in the Southland, died early Thursday morning, Oct. NAME, SPEAKER, MESSAGE TITLE. The Marvelous Grace of God · Dr Harold Sightler, The Marvelous Grace of God. Handfuls On Purpose · Dr Harold Sightler .

Author: Kazill Tojarn
Country: Kuwait
Language: English (Spanish)
Genre: Life
Published (Last): 11 February 2009
Pages: 433
PDF File Size: 8.28 Mb
ePub File Size: 10.78 Mb
ISBN: 580-1-68358-804-5
Downloads: 48571
Price: Free* [*Free Regsitration Required]
Uploader: Tojanos

These comments are set down to provide background detail to the history of the founding of Tabernacle Baptist Church and its continuance in the way of old time religion.

My Dad became eightler of Mauldin and Pelham Baptist churches in I remember Mauldin as a typical country Baptist church with a white frame clapboard building.

As I recall there were curtained partitions that set off Sunday school rooms at both churches. Both buildings were of course un-air-conditioned. I remember sitting in church at Mauldin and looking out the open windows at farm fields nearby and at mules and wagons tied to trees in the churchyard. There were more cars than wagons but the wagons were well represented; tires and gasoline were both rationed.

There was very little grass in the churchyard as was the case with many of the farmhouses. I remember the noise of Mitchell B bombers and other planes heard often on Sunday from training flights at Donaldson Air Force Base which was only about 5 miles away.

We had a car radio, and on the way to church from our home at 14 Underwood Avenue in Greenville we always heard the broadcast of the Sunday morning gathering at Renfro Valley Kentucky, narrated and directed by John Lair.

The format of this program would often include an elderly man and his sighhtler riding to church in a horse drawn buggy, while discussing life’s problems and God’s solutions for them. When they arrived the sound of music from the church could be heard, a pump organ, accordion and guitar, singing the old hymns in a country way. It seemed that the program sightlet end just as we arrived at Pelham.

Harold Sightler – Photo Gallery Page 1

What a wonderful memory! These things bring to mind the words from an old song by the Spencer family, which I love to hear: I believe God led him to this and made the change possible. In when my dad was 10 the family moved to Greenville and attended East Park Baptist church. Daddy was baptized by Preacher G. Daddy became the secretary sightlet the Evangelistic Club at East Park by about Later after Daddy was called to preach G. Lee took him to sightlerr registrar at Furman and enrolled him in college.

But my Dad did not take to the methods of preaching and pastoring presented to him later at Furman from to I believe this was in God’s hands.

Pastor Lee was also a contractor and built my Dad’s first small house on Underwood Avenue. Daddy did not have a car for several years between andand had to walk to church, to work at Thomas and Howard’s grocery wholesale warehouse on Washington St.

He had been prepared for walking so much by sighhtler paper routes he carried as a schoolboy. Witcher, a sighfler dealer and member of East Park, helped Daddy get a used Ford coupe and helped him build a small house at 14 Underwood Ave.

My Dad used to speak harrold of his maternal grandfather Bennett in Olar, SC and how he would take my Dad to an old Baptist church there, in a mule drawn wagon by the light of a lantern, and sit with his ear cupped to hear the word. I can also remember my Dad and mother attending home Bible study meetings under “uncle” Charlie Mount who lived just off East North street in the Overbrook community, sometime between and harodl He also spoke often with Otto Harrison who lived a block away from us on Laurens road and who had a radio program.


He harood privileged to be pastor of Oliver Greene’s parents at Mauldin and was a friend and admirer of Dr. Uncle Charlie Mount was a dispensational Bible teacher as was Henry Greer, chairman of the board of deacons at Pelham.

Mount attended Pelham Baptist very often but was not a member. When my Dad was a student at Furman he once registered for a course to study the book of Revelation.

At the first class the professor presented a preterist, amillennial point of view and said that everything in Revelation was symbolic and had already been fulfilled in 70 A. My Dad heard Oliver preach at an early date, quite some time before he entered college in He could have attended the Greer or Mills Mill meetings but certainly attended the Laurens Road tent meeting since the Evangelistic Club of East Park Baptist church supported that meeting.

Bennett Collins told me that he first met my Dad in at Oliver’s Newberry tent meeting. My Dad went there not only to attend the service but also to get information on organizing and conducting tent meetings, and he bought his first tent later that year.

He bought surplus seat ends from Oliver Greene, tent stakes from junkyard Model A rear axles, and was allowed by Thomas and Howard to keep the boards used to brace canned goods in railroad boxcars for use as tent seats. Daddy also admired J. Harold Smith and Preston Garrett and B. Caldwell preached my Dad’s ordination sermon at East Park. He also had heard Billy Sunday and R. Lee preach and regularly listened to Charles E.

His call to preach came after he had been listening to Dr. This apparently took place aboutbefore Oliver Greene entered North Greenville. Caldwell preached my Dad’s ordination sermon at East Park in Jack Greene told me that Oliver had taken bible classes under B. Caldwell who was then pastor of Laurel Creek Baptist Church. Both Oliver and my Dad had learned something of pre-millennialism before entering college.

My Dad told Benny Carper, his grandson, now directing the Bright Spot Hour, that he used to sit at home discussing the pre-millennial return of the Lord with his mother and Dad and with his brothers and sisters, even before he was called to preach. This then probably would have been after he dedicated his life to the Lord in and before his first sermon on the first Sunday in March ofa sermon preached in the morning service at East Park Baptist Church.

In my Dad’s case this served to insulate him from the liberal and amillennial teaching he encountered at Furman. In Oliver’s case the issue of pre-millennialism and dispensationalism led to his withdrawal from college and the start of his evangelistic career.

Jack said also that, when Oliver left North Greenville, C. Norman, at Morgan Memorial Baptist Church, took him “under his wing” and tutored and encouraged him. I spoke with Bill Norman, son of C. Norman, who gave me some interesting background to his Dad’s ministry and his influence on Oliver Greene and my Dad. The Norman family came to Greenville from Lockhart, near Union, where Brother Norman had grown up and begun his ministry.

Harold Smith, who was from Woodruff, had preached a revival in Lockhart for C. Both Lockhart and Woodruff are mill towns, very much like Pelham. Harold Smith’s first pastorate was at Conestee First Baptist, also a small cotton mill town between Greenville and Mauldin. Brother Norman also engaged in tent meetings and street preaching before he became pastor of Morgan Memorial in Greenville. He had accumulated a supply of parts and accoutrements for gospel tents over the years and these were stored in a garage at his residence at Laurens road.

This was only about 3 blocks from the home of my grandfather Horace and my Dad’s house as well on Underwood Ave. My Dad bought pole rings and tent stakes Model A axles from him, probably in Dad also bought seat ends from Oliver Greene at about the same time. My uncle Carey told me that he went with my Dad to Dalton, Georgia in to buy a gospel tent. It was 20 by 40 and cost dollars, which my Dad borrowed from the bank.


The trip was made in Carey’s Ford coupe. That trip took two days back then, and Carey and my Dad spent the night in the car, parked at an all night gas station. My Dad made seats for the tent by salvaging lumber from freight car food shipments that came to Thomas and Howard where he worked.

He also was able to acquire a public address system for the tent and for street preaching. This consisted of a vacuum tube type amplifier on which a turntable was mounted. There was a microphone and a set of black box type loudspeakers which could be mounted on top of a car.

It could be powered by household current or by a 6 volt automobile battery. Carey told me that Daddy used to mount the speakers on his car and preach near restaurants and nightclubs in Greenville and Travelers Rest. We should not forget that J. Harold Smith had already been preaching from loudspeakers mounted on a red Piper Cub which he flew a few hundred feet in the air over Greenville. This would have been an example to my Dad. Bill Norman said that his Dad also owned a similar PA system and it is at least possible that my Dad bought his from C.

Norman, who by then had organized Hampton Avenue and was pastor there. When Oliver, who had been an exemplary student and the leader of the preacher boys, was asked to leave North Greenville in March he drove his Chevrolet 2 door sedan with all his belongings to C. L Norman’s house and, in tears, told Bill he wanted to see Brother Norman. He was taken in and given a place to stay for a month or so.

He also was asked haroold preach a revival at Morgan Memorial. Later, in September, hsrold Oliver’s Elberton tent meeting, C.

Oliver had been asked to leave North Greenville because of pre-millennialism and because of his fervent preaching, his tent and street preaching, and his belief that believers can and should be filled with the Spirit.

Bill Norman told me that Oliver’s teachers at North Greenville told Oliver in private conversation that being filled with the Spirit was not possible.

Harold B. Sightler

It took no small courage for Pastor Norman to take in and give a pulpit to a young man who had just been hxrold from one of his own denomination’s schools. Later on the church meeting in which Brother Norman was asked to give up his pastorate was moderated by a Furman religion professor, Dr. Sughtler, who had been called as moderator by a deacon at Morgan Memorial.

Brother Norman then sightper a number of his sightlrr and organized Hampton Avenue Baptist Church as an independent work in Bennett Collins a group of local preachers led by Brother Norman, at some point soon after Oliver was asked to leave, went to North Greenville and confronted the President of the college over Oliver’s treatment.

They got no clear explanation. Similarly, it also took courage for Ernest Driggers to allow the Evangelistic Club of his church, East Park, to participate in Oliver Greene’s Laurens Road tent meeting in the summer of Brother Driggers was also often present at meetings at J. Howard Wilson came from Lyman, a small cotton mill town, to be pastor of Dunean Baptist church, also in a mill community.